Desiccated coconut meaning derived from coconut meat which is obtained after coconut milk or coconut oil has been produced. The appearance resembles all-purpose wheat flour, which is in the form of a fine white powder. This flour has many better health benefits than regular flour.
This desiccated coconut has a sweeter taste than ordinary flour. Despite this, not all flour can be replaced with tdesiccated coconut. Desiccated coconut can replace regular flour approximately 15-30 percent of your cooking flour needs. This desiccated can even enhance the taste of the cake. Well, before discussing how to make it, it would be nice to get to know more about desiccated coconut meaning, so see more details below.
Desiccated Coconut Meaning
Desiccated coconut is the flesh of a coconut fruit that is dried, mashed and processed under hygienic conditions for human consumption. This flour can be used for the confectionery and bread industry. There are two types of desiccated coconut on the market, namely: high fat and low fat. Desiccated which has a coconut oil content of more than 60% is categorized as High Fat Desiccated Coconut.
- High Fat
The production process begins with the opening of coconut shells. Furthermore, the brown coconut epidermis is peeled to get a white coconut flesh. The coconut flesh is grated then dried. In order for the flour not to turn yellow, the drying process should be carried out with a temperature of no more than 60 degrees Celsius. Dried grated coconut with a moisture content below 4.5% is further mashed and sifted according to the particle size of the buyer’s request.
- Low Fat
Grated coconut that has been dried, pressed to remove the oil from the coconut flour. It aims to produce coconut flour that contains low fat content. Next, grinding and sifting are carried out in order to obtain a fine Desiccated.
Then How to Make Desiccated Coconut?
- Make a hole right in the “eye” part of the coconut. This part is the softest part of the coconut shell and is easily hollowed out
- Remove the coconut water through the hole that has been made earlier.
- Open the coconut shell by using a hammer or other hard object. How to open it by hitting a hammer on the coconut.
- Take the coconut meat by using a small knife or butter knife.
- Peel off the coconut skin that still remains in the coconut meat. Stripping can be with the use of potato peelers.
- Put boiling water in the blender and puree the coconut meat using a blender. Then blender at high speed
- Let the blended coconut meat stand for 3-5 minutes so that the grater is cool and can be touched.
- Pour the grated that is in the blender into a colander. Accommodate the coconut milk in a container that is placed under the filter and store the remaining grated in the filter to then be used as coconut flour
- Carry out the drying process using the oven. The oven is installed at a low temperature so that the coconut meat is not roasted but the moisture content can be reduced
- Transfer the dried grater to the blender. Put all the dried grated coconuts in the blender. Then blender at high speed
- Store desiccated in an airtight container until it is time to use